2018 Story Slam
Deadline Friday, August 10th!
Have you got what it takes to be the National Storytelling Festival’s next Best Story Slammer? Anyone’s welcome to apply – all you need is a little bit of courage and a true, five-minute story that suits this year’s theme, REVELATION.
Applications are in the form of a recorded 2-minute story excerpt. (Details below.) All entries will be judged by a panel and six will be selected to tell at the National Storytelling Festival on Saturday, October 6. Those selected to tell will receive a weekend ticket to the Festival!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW –
• Your story must connect to the theme REVELATION in some way. You do not need to say the word ‘Revelation’ in your story, but you do need to connect to the idea.
• True, original stories only.
• Contestants must be at least 16 years old.
• Stories must be told, not read. No notes or props.
• Content must be suitable for a general audience, ages 13 and up.
• Former featured National Storytelling Festival tellers are not eligible to enter.
• Be sure it’s a story with a beginning, middle and end, and not a joke or anecdote.
• You’ll be notified if you’ve been chosen for the Slam by August 31.
First place: $300
Second place: $150
Third place: $50
You can enter by providing an excerpt of your story by phone or by mailing a recording. Make sure the excerpt conveys how your story will relate to the theme “Revelation.”
To enter by phone: Call 1-877-822-0380 and follow the prompts. You’ll be asked for your name, phone number, and email address. Then provide a two minute excerpt of your story.
To mail, send recording to:
International Storytelling Center
Attn: Story Slam
116 W. Main
Jonesborough, TN 37659
Deadline to enter is Friday, August 10. You’ll be notified if you’re ‘in’ by August 31.
It is a competition – and if you are selected to tell at the Festival, you’ll only have five minutes at the mic to wow the judges. You will be judged on your performance, how well the story is crafted, its connection to the theme, and adherence to the 5-minute time limit. Please remember you do not have to say the theme REVELATION in your story; it only needs to be implied. Be creative!