The second annual National Storytelling Festival’s Story Slam returns to the Festival this year after an inaugural highly successful and jam-packed event in 2012. Whether you join the competition or the audience, dont miss it! Saturday, October 5th at 5:30 pm at the Creekside Tent.
The 2013 Story Slam theme is “Snapshot” - true stories about memorable or photographic moments.
Old School –
You have to tell a story. A true one based on this year’s theme, “Snapshot.” That story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. That’s it!
New Rules –
It’s a competition – and you only have five minutes at the mic to wow the judges. You will be judged on your performance, how well the story is crafted, its connection to the theme (“Snapshot”), and adherence to the 5-minute time limit.
1st place: $300
2nd place: $200
3rd place: $50
More to Know:
• Your story must connect to the theme—Snapshot—in some way. Be creative!
• True, original stories only.
• Contestants must be at least 18 years old.
• Stories must be told, not read. No notes or props.
• Content must be suitable for a general audience, ages 13 and up.
• The competition is not open to anyone who has been a featured teller at the National Storytelling Festival.
• Enter between June 1 and August 1. You’ll be notified if you’re ‘in’ by August 31.
Three Ways to Enter: Pick One
1. Record your Story Here - First, type your email address below and leave your name and phone number in the ‘Message’ box. Then hit record and give us a brief description and an excerpt of your story. You will have around two minutes. When you are through recording, hit ‘pause’; then you can hit ‘play’ to listen, ‘clear’ to redo, or ‘send’ to finish.
• Make sure your computer microphone is connected and that the audio volume is high enough.
• If you see a prompt from the Adobe Flash Player, under the privacy settings click the Allow and Remember buttons and then Close.
2. Call 423-558-0739 and follow the prompts to leave a description and excerpt of your story.
3. Mail an audio or DVD clip with the same information to:
Slam, 116 W. Main, Jonesborough, TN 37659.